In March 2018, ultra-runner legend Ryan Sandes and Ryno Griesel, have set themselves the goal of running the 1400km Great Himalaya Trail in under 28 days and hopefully beating Andrew Porter’s current fastest known time of 28 days 13 hours and 56 minutes. And they will be helping DARG’s Community Hospital Fund in the process!
As a DARG Ambassador, Ryan supports DARG’s outreach programs in Imizamo Yethu and Hangberg. Besides the 250 animals in the facility, DARG also helps with basic pet care, sterilisations and veterinary treatments in these lower-income Hout Bay communities. The vet bills for this service average R55000 per month.
Great Himalaya Trail
The Great Himalaya Trail is not a single trail but rather a combination of various trails in either the upper (GHT High Route) or middle (GHT Cultural route) districts of Nepal stretching from the west to the east (or vice versa) end of the country. Ryan and Ryno will traverse the estimated 1400km route combining the High GHT and Cultural GHT to challenge the current recognised FKT (Fastest Known Time) of 28 days, 13 hours and 56 minutes, as set by Andrew Porter in October 2016 (Read Here). They will self-navigate in an attempt to find the best possible route to link up the 12 required check-points as set by Andrew.
The route that Ryan and Ryno will be taking is (based on Andrew’s current FKT):
- Start in the village of Hilsa (CP1) on the Western Nepal/ Tibetan border and cross the following points (villages and passes)
- CP2: Simikot at roughly 70km
- CP3: Gamgadhi at roughly 143km
- CP4: Jumla at roughly 184km
- CP5: Juphal (270km) or Dunai at roughly 280km
- CP6: Chharka Bhot at roughly 371km
- CP7: Kagbeni at roughly 429km
- CP8: Thorang La Pass at roughly 447km
- CP9: Larkye La Pass at roughly 541km
- CP10: Jiri at roughly 902km
- CP11: Tumlingtar at roughly 1037km
- Finishing on the Eastern Nepal/ Indian border at Pashupatinagar (CP12)
Similar to Andrew, Ryan and Ryno will:
- not use porters/ mule-ing and carry their load themselves
- stay in lodges and other local accommodation to keep their weight down
- buy food locally as they travel
- use a local Trekking company to meet up along the way to exchange kit and assist with issuing of permits
AMAZING! The awesome DARG Ambassador and ultra-runner legend Ryan Sandes and Ryno Griesel are putting their bodies on the line to break a record and raise funds for DARG in the process.
Please support their efforts here: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/…/great-himalaya-trail-record-…
Thank you Ryan and Ryno!
#dargdays #sponsorasnip #spayandneuter